Research Experiences

Research Experiences

Research Interest: Early Childhood Development And Care, Kindergarten, Play-Based Learning, Teacher-Student Relationships, Teacher-Parent Relationships

Peer-Mentoring Project
For Early Childhood Educators In British Columbia

(Work as A Graduate Research Assistant)

Peer Mentoring for Early Childhood Educators in BC is Dr Laura Doan's research project which has received a $575,000 grant. It's being conducted in collaboration with the Early Childhood Educators of BC and is designed to stem the flow of ECEs out of the field through the development of a provincewide peer mentoring network that will offer ongoing professional development and expand infrastructure for both new and experienced educators.

I am involved in this project as a graduate research assistant. I will help to develop the project website, do the literature review, organize orientation conference for ECE facilitators, collect data and analyze data.

What Do Parents And Teachers Value About Play Pedagogy In Children's English As A Second Language Acquisition?
(Work As A Primary Researcher)

I am currently working on my thesis research. Specifically, parent and teacher perspectives on the role of play in children's ESL acquisition will be researched in terms of how teachers understand play in children's ESL acquisition and what the classroom play practices are they incorporate into the ESL environment. Identification of concerns as well as strengths of play in ESL environments from the perspective of both teachers and parents is the goal. Participants will be recruited both in China and Canada, which will create the opportunity for comparative considerations.

As the principal investigator, I am responsible for ethics, including participant recruitment, informed consent, and all aspects of ethics approval. I will also be collecting the data, via telephone interviews and will be completing data analysis. During the above process, my supervisor and co-supervisor will supervise me.

Commercial Research Experiences
(Work As A Primary Researcher)

I also have experiences in commercial research. As a researcher in a consulting company, I did research studies in Consumers Use and Attitude towards specific products, as well as Concept Test, Package Test, Taste Test, Promotion Effect Evaluation etc, in relation to particular products. The research methods I had utilized include: survey, online survey, focus group, and telephone interview, intercept interview.